Head of laboratory: Orlov Veniamin Moiseevich, Dr.Sc (Engineering)
Tel: (81555) 79-308.
Number of the staff: 16 (including 6 research associates, 2 doctors and 1 candidate of sciences).
Trends of research:
- manufacturing methods for the production of fine-grained tantalum and niobium powders and compounds by metallothermic reduction;
- production of high-purity tantalum, niobium and other refractory metals by the vacuum metallurgy procedures;
- processes of tantalum and niobium powders sintering;
- designing of processes for the production of advanced tantalum- and niobium-based materials for electrolytic capacitor anodes;
New technologies and materials:
- technology of tantalum capacitor sodium-thermal powders with increased bulk weight and satisfactory yield (a pilot plant has been built);
- technology of agglomerated capacitor tantalum powders with a specific charge of up to 7500 (micron/coulomb/g (a pilot plant has been built);
- a method of high-frequency sintering of voluminous-porous capacitor anodes enhancing both their specific charge and quality (applied at GIRIKOND Research Institute, St. Petersburg);
- an original and efficient process of tantalum and niobium powder production from compact metal involving hydration-dehydration with hydrogen in a closed cycle (applied in Sillamae and Glasov);
- technology of sodium-thermic zirconium powder of the PTsrN-A type.
Unique equipment and plants. The vacuum-thermal equipment available in the laboratory includes:
- a laboratory furnace for electron-beam melting of metals;
- a plant for thermal treatment in ultrahigh vacuum (up to 10-10torr) at 2000-2300оC;
- plants for sodium-thermic and magnesium-thermic reduction;
- instruments for determining electric parameters of capacitor anodes;
- a laser diffraction particle-size analyzer SALD-201V/301 (Shimadzu, Japan).
- Kolosov V.N., Dr.S. (Engineering)
- Prokhorova T.Yu., Ph.D. (Engineering)